The next year will be among the most challenging that the higher education sector has faced in recent decades. Even before the current pandemic we were in a period of social, geopolitical, environmental and technological volatility and disruption. Universities are now also reeling from the economic shock of COVID-19 – from projected major shortfalls in applicant numbers, to ongoing planning uncertainties and the sobering longer-term financial implications, we are experiencing a paradigm shift in the way we work, teach, and research.
In the short term, universities will need to survive by mitigating the immediate financial impact. They also need to have foresight in planning how they can regain resilience and reposition themselves for the longer term.
As a leader and manager tackling this challenge, there are crucial questions that you need answers to.
In the short term:
- What efficiency savings do you need to deliver?
- What principles do you want to apply in delivering those savings?
- What operational changes do you need to make before the start of the new academic year?
- In taking decisions on short-term financial cuts, what considerations do you need to give to the protection of future strategic opportunities and investments?
And for the medium to longer term:
- To what extent has COVID-19 identified a need to change your strategy?
- How has COVID-19 accelerated changes that you want to sustain? To what extent has it stalled changes that you need to implement?
- COVID-19 has brought significant challenges, but how far has it also offered opportunities to rethink how and where your employees work?
- What opportunities are there for your institution to have a ‘Green restart’?
- What new opportunities for collaboration do you want to explore?
- How will you harness the creativity and agility developed during this crisis?
As your strategic partner, HEdSpace Consulting will work with you to create the headspace your organisation needs to navigate the challenges ahead, and to help you achieve transformational and sustainable change. Example services we have provided:
- Strategic review and analysis, e.g. review of strategic and operational effectiveness of professional services, review of governance and management
- Lean transformation and process improvement
- Strategic programme and project management
- Benefits case development
- Change management
- Facilitation and team development
- Leadership, development and performance coaching
- Conflict management and alternative dispute resolution